Thursday, December 10, 2009

How do I stop being 'nocturnal', going to bed v. late, and getting up equally late...?

I can't sleep until 5 am, and I can't wake up before 12am, what's the best way to break this habit?



- I wasn't always this way. I just started working late, then sleeping late to compensate and now it's just getting silly...



How do I stop being 'nocturnal', going to bed v. late, and getting up equally late...?concert venue



1. Set a time when you want to be able to go to sleep.



2. Avoid caffeine (coffee %26amp; soda) 4-6 hours before this time.



3. Don't do anything stimulating near this time like watching tv



shows that you are very into and can get you excited.



4. Set a time when you want to wake up.



5. Get two alarm clocks for this... place one next to your bed



and the other one across the room.



6. Focus yourself before you go to sleep that you will wake up



and get up when the alarm clocks go off.



7. (This is the toughest - you will need a lot of will power)



When the alarms go off, force yourself to get up to turn



them off and go to the bathroom to wash your face with



cold water.



If you can go straight to the shower right away, it would be



much better.



8. When you still feel like going back to bed, try to resist.



As days go by following your sleep "schedule", your body will start to get used to shutting down at a certain time and waking back up at a certain time.



9. (This is the most important piece of advice)



On days when you do not have work, wake up at the same



as you normally would, or 1 hour later at the very latest.



Good luck!



How do I stop being 'nocturnal', going to bed v. late, and getting up equally late...?events opera theaterThough I still like my own answer, I too would agree with the one chosen as best. Some people, too, need 6 or 7 hrs sleep a night, others nead 8 or 9. An individual thing, not right or wrong. Report It


I would join the military.
I have no answer, because I was JUST ABOUT to ask this question. I'm freaked out that you just asked it. I am having the EXACT same problem. I'll be watching this question. Maybe I'll go find myself more advice. I need an answer as well though.



I've always had such nocturnal tendencies, it's so annoying!



My mum told me, "Well go to bed at like 10 tonight like a normal person and wake up at 7 tomorrow."



It's obviously not that easy.
I do the same thing and I can just kick my own #%26amp;%)$.



What I eventually do is stay up a full day and get myself so tired and rum dumb that I will go to sleep at a normal hour and if I don't allow myself to get back in the habit I can go to bed at a decent hour and maintain that.



Every time I do get myself into a normal routine of sleeping it would seem that something happens that gets me back into the old habit and again I could just kick my own @*%26amp;%).



I now better understand why OLD people are so set in their routine of bedtime and rarely go anywhere or do anything that interfers with that.
Some of us are larks, naturally early risers and perky too. I don't relate well to them. Owls, now owls are wonderfully nocturnal creatures, so wonderful that society doesn't work along the same hours.



I suggest you make a decision to pull yourself back slowly over the next 3 weeks at least, minim,to see change. Start going to bed at 4 .M. and get up at 11 -- I don't care if you lie in bed 5 hours awake because you went to bed i hr, eaarlier. And I don't care how hard it is to get up at 11, just do this for several days. Then pull it back to bedtime at 3 A.M. amd up and 10A.M etc. until you are at a more reasonable schedule. You may have to do this in lesser increments of 1/2/hr at a time. The hard part is the getting up! But as you cut sleep



time off the late morning, you'll find your body is having an easier time falling asleep earlier. Then you'll be more like all the rest of us fake larks. You can tell we're like you because we can do it, but we'll never ever be perky at those awful hours!
i myself work 4- 12:30 and i used to be a morning person butt reallywhen you get home dont go straight to bed, have a snack and veg out on the couch and if you want to wake up so you can have some what of a life set an alarm clock, butt make sure you are getting your sleep. and really its not a habit but something natural. if its that extreme it may be insomnia (sorry if i spelt it wrong) and you may require sleeping pills

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd